Recruiting Like a Pro means you must Interview Like a Pro
What Does That Mean?
- Determine if the interviewee’s vision, goals, mission and values align with yours.
- Do an in-depth interview to discover their true skills, experience and education.
- Determine if their hard-wired behavioral traits, strengths and weaknesses align with what the position requires.
Over the next three months we will be discussing each of these topics and offering you a free, one-time, mini (60 min) session on our 5 Step Interviewing Process for you and/or your team.
Interviewing and Testing for Right Traits
Scott Urban, playwright and a smart, experienced recruiter says “you hire people for what they can do and you fire them for who they are.”
How can you avoid this?
- Ask the following open-ended question (Using our 5 step model):
• What do you perceive are your behavioral strengths and weaknesses?
• Listen carefully to what they say and write it down
- Then after some small talk ask the question this way:
• What would your direct reports or peers say are your behavioral strengths and weaknesses?
- Then after more small talk ask the question this way:
• Assume you want to join us and we want to hire you. If we had all your former bosses in this room, speaking candidly, what would they say are your behavioral strength and weaknesses.
Do a reality check to prove your findings. Here is how:
- Do a DISC behavioral profile on your final candidates.
It will, in most cases, give you an accurate appraisal of what you are getting from a behavioral standpoint. Decide if you can live with their hard wired behavioral strengths and weaknesses. (We will provide your company one free profile to get you started and so you can see the value of the DISC process.)
- Do work Behavioral Reference checks.
If you don’t know how to do this email Scott Urban at firstname.lastname@example.org since he is the best I have ever seen at this. (Don’t tell yourself you can’t get this information because you can.)
Making mistakes in hiring we all know is very costly. This 5 Step Interviewing Process and assessing people on the A. B.C. requirements, listed at the top, can make it more scientific and increase your percentages of making the right hire.
We are here to help and support you. Please call/email 773-641-9631 or email@example.com.
Written by John Ruh
John M. Ruh and Associates are mission based business advisors who partner with growth oriented leaders to create the right P.S.T. support: the right People, the right Structure and the right Tools.